The Americans and my previous experience photographing people on the street

Street photography is something that I have had a secret love for many years, living in a bustling environment for a couple of years Newcastle has always inspired me to try my hand at this, I have created a set of images in the first year of college which was portraits of people walking away, I would stand in a location and wait for someone to pass me that looked interesting and I created a set of six images like this. It was a different approach to a portrait brief but it felt like I t would fit, having done this before I wanted to recreate this with what I have learnt from doing photography for much longer now and since I have learnt so much since I last did this sort of thing. Since moving down to Lincoln where the pace is much slower, I feel like this is a challenge to take pictures of people from the shadows much like Frank.

What I love about Frank’s work is the way he captures America at that time, nothing screams more real than this. His work has a roughness to some of the images with wonky composition, which I presume is captured on the fly when trying not to be noticed in some locations and others seem to be more controlled and though about, thinking about what he was capturing and why he was capturing it.

dav dav

Sources:

Frank, R. (1978). The Americans. Millerton, N.Y.: Aperture.